What to Do After a Car Accident

Getting in a car accident while driving the streets of Mesquite can be a scary, and sometimes life-changing, event. You are probably going to feel lost and alone, especially if you were injured and are not sure what to do next. Here are a few things to remember if you are ever in a car crash.

Stay Put

Being in a car accident can be confusing, but you need to remember not to leave until you are told by the authorities you are allowed to. Leaving before then could, at the very least, hinder a personal injury case and at most lead to charges for fleeing the scene.

People Before Property

Before you assess the damage to your car, make sure all drivers and passengers are uninjured. If someone says their spine or head hurts, do not move them at all. 

Call the Authorities

If no one else has, call 911 to make sure police and paramedics are sent to your location. When they arrive, make sure a police report is filed. Also, always get checked out by a medical professional. Even if you do not feel hurt, adrenaline could be masking injuries. 

Gather Information

Once everyone is looked at and okay, exchange insurance information with the other driver. Never apologize for anything, as that is technically an admission of guilt. Also try to get as many witness’ statements as possible, and take plenty of pictures of the car and any injuries.

Talk to Your Insurance Company

Make sure your insurance agent is promptly informed of the car accident. Tell them exactly what happened, if you are injured and the extent of damage to the car. Do not lie to them; this could lead to serious consequences down the road.

Get Fully Evaluated

After you are free to leave the scene, get the damage to your car fully assessed, and also visit your physician. Keep records of all expenses stemming from the wreck, medical or otherwise, including lost wages. 

Contact an Attorney

If you are a car accident victim, you may be entitled to compensation, especially if you were struck by a drunk driver or distracted driver. Contact our qualified attorneys today for a free consultation.