What To Do After A Truck Accident
In the aftermath of a serious truck accident, it can be extremely difficult to know what steps to take to protect your interests and how to handle conversations with insurance company representatives. At The Law Firm of Ted B. Lyon & Associates in the Dallas Fort Worth Texas Metropolitan area, we have a well-earned reputation for our skillful handling of complex truck accident claims.
For a free consultation about a truck accident case, call 866-503-4864.
Truck Accident Happens, Now What
The following are some general Do’s and Don’ts for people who have been injured because of a truck driver’s negligence.
- Do seek medical care for your injuries — There is nothing more important than your health and well-being. Get the medical care you need and keep track of the costs you incur for care. If you have grounds for a personal injury claim, we can pursue compensation for your past and future medical care as part of the claim.
- Do get the contact and insurance information of the truck driver and his or her employer — Get as much information as you can. It will be a critical component in the process of pursuing your injury claim.
- Do get a copy of the police report — The police report often contains valuable information, including the responding officer’s interpretation of the events surrounding the accident and statements from witnesses that may be helpful to contact as part of the investigation of your case.
- Don’t apologize — As you are asking the truck driver for his or her information, do not say anything that could be interpreted as an admission of liability for the accident. Simply making a comment about how the accident happened could be construed in a way that implies you may have been in a position to avoid the accident, even though it was not your fault.
- Don’t talk to anyone from the truck driver’s insurance company — It is not unusual for an insurance company risk management representative to reach the scene within minutes of the accident — sometimes even arriving before the police. These individuals are trained specifically to gather specific information in a way that supports their own interests and deliberately undermines yours.
When you choose our law firm for your trucking accident claim, we will be your advocate from the outset. We know the strategies that insurance companies use, and we know what actions to take to overcome them. We work tirelessly to secure the compensation you need to recover from your injuries.
Call Our Dallas Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have questions about what to do after a truck accident, contact Ted B. Lyon & Associates to schedule a free initial consultation with a skilled Dallas personal injury attorney. You can reach us by phone at 866-503-4864 or contact us via email.