Understanding Car Accidents Due to Poor Road Conditions

Although most car accidents result in poor choices such as speeding or driving while intoxicated, some accidents result from poor road conditions. For example, large potholes, missing guard rails and other issues may cause accidents involving serious vehicle damage and injury.

Texas Roads Remain in Poor Condition

According to a recent report by Transportation for America, 11% of Texas roads are considered to be in poor condition. This is an increase from 8% in 2009.

The average highway capital spending in Texas is $7,259,320 with 48% spent on roadway expansion and only 15% spent on repair. Unfortunately, the worsening road conditions do contribute to some accidents each year.

Examples of Poor Road Conditions

Roads are subject to a lot of wear and tear over the years. And, in Texas, many of our highways see thousands of vehicles each day, from small passenger cars to large commercial trucks. 

While you drive, here are some poor road conditions to look out for:

  • Shoulder drop-offs
  • Potholes
  • Missing guard rails
  • Loose gravel
  • Faded road markings
  • Debris

How Do I Seek Compensation for My Accident Due to Road Conditions?

What happens if road conditions cause you to become an accident victim? You have options for compensation for your injuries. 

Can You Get Financial Help From Insurance?

First, you can file a claim with your own insurance company. Depending on your policy, you may be able to get some assistance paying your bills directly from your provider.

Can I Sue the Government for My Injuries and Damage?

Your state and local governments are responsible for road maintenance. Yet, many laws are in place to protect these entities from liability due to road conditions. Although you have the ability to file a claim, you’ll need to prove negligence, which is often difficult in these situations. You’ll need to prove, without a doubt, that the poor road caused your accident.

If you believe you may have a claim, we recommend reaching out to a professional personal injury attorney for help. Filing a claim against a government entity is a delicate process.

Reach Out to Ted B. Lyon Today for Car Accident Assistance

If poor road conditions caused you pain and suffering, we can help. To learn more about your potential claim, give us a call at 877-Ted-Lyon / 877-833-5966 or send us a message today.