How Do I Get Compensation for Injuries in a Hit-and-Run Accident?

In Texas, the at-fault driver’s insurance is the first place to look if you’ve been injured and need compensation. But how are you supposed to know who was at fault if that person flees the scene? Obviously, you won’t be able to get that driver’s information to give to your insurance company.

If you get hurt in a hit-and-run accident, first call the police and make a report. Then, contact your own insurance company. You could have coverage under your own policy to help pay for medical costs and property damage.

Two Types of Auto Insurance That May Apply in a Hit-and-Run Crash

There are two forms of insurance coverage that might apply to a Texas hit-and-run situation. One is collision coverage, and the other is uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

Collision Coverage

The damage to your vehicle could be paid for by your own collision coverage. Texas law does not require you to carry collision coverage, but you should. If you only have liability coverage, your insurance company won’t pay for damage to your own car. Liability coverage pays only for damage to other people’s cars.

If you do have collision coverage, you can get property damage compensation for losses to your vehicle, no matter who was at fault. So, collision coverage helps in hit-and-run scenarios because it’ll kick in even if you can’t identify the other driver.

UM/UIM Coverage

Texas requires insurers to make UM/UIM coverage available to you automatically. It usually has the same limits as your bodily injury liability coverage. The bodily injury portion of UM/UIM coverage covers medical bills and lost wages. It can also compensate you for disfigurement, pain and partial or permanent disability.

In Texas, you have UM/UIM coverage unless you specifically declined it in writing when you signed up for your policy.

UM/UIM insurance covers the policyholder (you) and your family members. It also covers any passenger(s) at the time of the crash and anyone driving your car with your consent.

Get Advice From Experienced Texas Lawyers After a Hit-and-Run

If you were injured in a hit-and-run in Dallas-Fort Worth or the surrounding areas, reach out to the lawyers at Ted B. Lyon & Associates. Our injury lawyers can review your insurance policies, help you file the claim and work to recover the maximum amount of compensation. Call us at 877-Ted-Lyon / 877-833-5966 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.