Texas roadways were less deadly in 2019, according to data from the Department of Transportation. In mid-2020, the department released its report on 2019 Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Facts, and it contains several pieces of good news about auto accidents.
Motor vehicle fatalities decreased to 3,652 in 2019, a drop of 1.15% from the previous year. This makes three consecutive years in which the number of fatal crashes has declined, a welcome trend in a state that still has some of the nation’s most dangerous roads.
The reduced death toll came even though Texans drove 4 billion more miles than the year before: 286 billion in 2019 versus 284 billion in 2018.
More Interesting Auto Accident Facts
Other noteworthy points from the DOT’s report include:
- Single-vehicle crashes accounted for one in three fatal accidents.
- December was the deadliest month, with 333 people killed on the state’s roads.
- June 5th and December 7th were the two deadliest days of the year, recording 21 deaths.
- At least one person was killed every day on our roads.
- More than half of the fatalities occurred in rural areas.
- More than 250,000 people were injured in auto accidents; nearly 16,000 of them were seriously hurt.
How We Can Keep Making Roads Safer
There are things all of us can do when we’re behind the wheel to decrease the risk of being involved in a motor vehicle accident. Here are a few quick tips.
- Know where your blind spots are.
- Don’t drive when you’re overly tired.
- Don’t drive after you’ve consumed alcohol.
- Keep your car in good shape with proper maintenance.
- Keep your speed under control.
- Minimize your night driving, because far more accidents happen at night.
We know that even if you take every precaution, you could suddenly find yourself involved in a crash caused by someone else. If that happens to you, and you get hurt or someone dies, you deserve full compensation. To get it, you’ll need to have a strong personal injury lawyer on your side, someone who knows how to fight against insurance companies that try to minimize their payouts.
Our Dallas Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers Are Here for You
You’ll find some of the Dallas area’s most proven car accident lawyers at Ted B. Lyon & Associates. We have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for clients who were injured or lost loved ones in wrecks. We are always available to help. You can schedule a free initial consultation with our team today by calling 866-503-4864 or send us a message.