Around 6 million car accidents happen in the United States each year. During these accidents, approximately 3 million people experience injuries resulting from the crash. To avoid an accident, it’s critical to remain vigilant while you’re driving, especially in places where car accidents tend to happen more frequently than others.
Car Accidents Often Occur in Familiar Places
Although driving in an unfamiliar place may lead to an accident, near your home is one of the most common places of car accidents. In fact, accidents typically occur within 25 miles of home. As we drive in familiar places, we’re more relaxed, thinking we can drive the route with our eyes closed. We tend to rely on muscle memory, forgetting to pay attention to our surroundings.
Accidents are often caused by other drivers or obstructions we can’t see until it’s too late. It’s important to stay vigilant even in familiar territory to avoid an accident.
5 Most Common Places for Car Accidents
A car accident can occur anywhere, even in places you wouldn’t expect. Some of the most common places for accidents include:
- Parking lots: Although serious accidents rarely occur in parking lots, minor accidents such as fender benders happen frequently. With many vehicles moving around in one centralized location, accidents ranging from scratched paint to rear collisions may occur.
- Busy highways: During rush hour or holiday traffic, car accidents happen quickly and frequently. Improper lane usage and switching, merging and exiting cause accidents when drivers don’t stay alert.
- Stoplights and intersections: Drivers who proceed through intersections and stoplights without yielding or following traffic signals can cause severe collisions. Rear-end accidents happen often due to drivers who fail to stop, colliding with the vehicle in front of them.
- Rural roads: Roads in rural places are often littered with debris and may include sharp curves and gravel. It’s also easy for drivers to drive faster and with less care than they would on busier highways.
- Neighborhoods: Neighborhood accidents occur due to familiarity, speeding and inattention to surroundings such as cars exiting driveways.
Injured in a Car Accident? Reach Out for Help.
No matter where your accident happens, the resulting injuries can be difficult to manage on your own. It’s important to reach out to a professional attorney for help. To learn more about car accidents, send us a message.